Unplugging at the Ranch
Sometimes, people are shocked when I tell them that there is no cell reception at the ranch. Yes, we do have okay WiFi, but that’s isolated to the library. We are usually busy getting to know everyone and it doesn’t leave much time to check Facebook or Instagram at the ranch. When I first arrived, it was a bit of a culture shock, but it didn’t take long to enjoy the liberation from my phone. After a few summers of unplugging opportunities, I thought I’d compile my top 5 reasons I enjoy getting away from being attached to my phone, and benefits I see in the folks I’m around every day.
Face to face interactions are better
- When phones are eliminated from the mix, having conversation feel more genuine, more focused. People aren’t constantly checking their texts, their emails, but truly focused on connecting with whomever they are getting to know.
More restful sleep
- With no WiFi in the cabins, there’s no access to social media applications to keep you up at night. Bright screens can make it difficult to fall asleep, and it can be hard to resist the temptation, but with no option, just the sounds of nature, it can be easier to fall asleep and stay asleep.
No fear of losing it if it stays on the charger
- You can ask anyone, I am always forgetting where I’ve set my phone down, and probably spend more time than I should looking for my phone. At the ranch, it become much easier, because more often than not, my phone is on or next to the charger where I’ve left it.
No feeling of obligation
- Many people tell me that when they come to the ranch, they let the people who work in their office know that they will be difficult to reach. Of course, there is the opportunity to use the library Wifi, but it’s not exceptionally fast. There is also the option of the landline, also located in the library.
True feeling of freedom
- Once you let go of the worry of not having access to social media or constant contact with email, and just enjoy the freedom from the phones and computers and tablets for a week, it allows you to feel freedom to enjoy your experience, and everyone around you!